Press and Journal . . . December 27, 2017 Culloden homes protesters welcome move for plans to be debated in public . . . "But such has been the controversy, local councillors Ken Gowans, Carolyn Caddick and Andrew Jarvie have successfully had the application placed on the agenda for the south planning committee, allowing it to be debated in public. George Kempik, founder of the campaign organisation the Stop Development at Culloden Group, said: “This is the right thing to do."
Inverness Courier. . . December 27, 2017 Battle over Culloden homes will be fought in public CONTROVERSIAL plans for 16 homes beside Culloden Battlefield will be debated in public after a successful move by councillors..."Given the sensitivity of the application, in terms of its location, we felt it only right that it should be determined by the committee and heard in public rather than behind closed doors."
“For many Scots and descendants of the Scottish and Highland diaspora, the site represents a part of their cultural identity and is of spiritual significance to them. This is reflected in the fact that the property is seen as a memorial and site of pilgrimage.
The tangible aspects of the property, the battlefield, the landscape, monuments and structures, provide visitors with a setting for a meaningful connection with these events and contribute to the site’s evocative sense of place. The property is a crucial location to explore the history of the Jacobite rising, the events of the battle and its national and international repercussions.
“Furthermore, as a site of such outstanding historic and cultural significance, Culloden provides an excellent opportunity to explore the nature of identity, conflict and leadership within our world."
The Scotsman . . . December 13, 2017 Archaeologists warn of Culloden relics at housing site In a written response to planners, Ms Cameron said: “This area is sensitive due to its location partly within the inventoried Battlefield of Culloden and although it has been previously developed, it still has the potential to contained buried information relating to the battle and its aftermath.”
The Herald . . . December 5, 2017 Call for Archaeological Investigation of Culloden Moor Homes Site AN archaeological investigation should be carried out at a disused farm on the Battle of Culloden Battlefield site before new homes are built there, the National Trust for Scotland says. The charity believes probing the top layers of Viewfield could unearth debris scattered by soldiers who fought there. A spokesman for the trust, which manages and owns the battlefield, said the Jacobite left flank could clearly be seen from the proposed housing site, adding that the trust “of course remained unhappy” about the decision to grant permission to build 16 homes in the area.
The Scotsman . . . December 5, 2017 Conservationists move to block homes at Culloden The National Trust for Scotland is calling for an archaeological investigation at a disused farm on Culloden battlefield before 16 homes are built. The charity believes investigating the top layers of Viewhill could unearth debris scattered by soldiers who fought and died there.
Press and Journal . . . December 2, 2017 Protest March to be Staged Against Culloden Development "Following a global outcry, supported by Outlander author Diana Gabaldon, a new designated Protection Area enlarged the protected zone for the Culloden Battlefield area, but did not include Viewhill."
November 30, 2017 . . . The Scotsman: Protest March at Culloden Battlefield against housing plan Protestors will gather at Culloden to demonstrate against plans to build 16 news homes close to the core site of the 1746 battle. Plans by Kirkwood Homes to build houses at Viewhill Farm, which sits around 400+ yards north of the main battleground, have been met with resistance.
November 17. 2017 . . . Inverness Courier: Date set for Culloden housing protest CAMPAIGNERS hoping to persuade developers to abandon plans for 16 homes on the boundary of Culloden battlefield are staging a protest at the site next month. The Facebook group called Stop the Development at Culloden is encouraging members and supporters to turn up at the battlefield and march to the housing site at Viewhill Farm, NOW being advertised as Cairnfields, wearing traditional Highland dress.
November 13, 2017. . . Press and Journal: Last-minute bid in battle to save Culloden site Campaigners against a controversial 16-home project, yards from the site of the Battle of Culloden, have made a last-minute plea to the landowner not to sell the property to a housing developer.
November 12, 2017 . . . The Sunday Times: Culloden residents battle the bulldozer It was the site of the last pitched battle on British soil. Now, 270 years later, Culloden is the scene for more conflict as residents mount a last-ditch effort to prevent land that is close to the battleground from being bulldozed for luxury homes.
. . . He said: “I am sure a lot of people see houses on that site as deeply disrespectful. Culloden Battlefield and that greater battlefield area is a very significant piece of land. All we are going to try to do is appeal to their moral compass. “There will be a lot of very upset people if those homes are built. For all we know we could be building houses on a grave.”
April 16, 2017. . . The Scotsman: Culloden Moor, April 16 1746: “The worst place on earth” Today marks the 271st anniversary of the Battle of Culloden, the last pitched battle on British soil, which brought an end to Bonnie Prince Charlie’s doomed bid to return the House of Stuart to the British throne.
April 3, 2017. . . Press and Journal: Weekend of events at Culloden to mark joint anniversaries Organisers have promised a spectacular series of events at Culloden Battlefield this month to mark the joint anniversaries of the conflict and 80 years of National Trust for Scotland guardianship at the site.
March 4 . . . Inverness Courier: Prince intervenes in battlefield homes plan PRINCE Charles is reportedly "very concerned" about controversial plans for new homes on the edge of Culloden Battlefield. It is understood the Prince of Wales has taken an interest in the development and has asked to be kept up-to-date as a patron of the National Trust for Scotland.
Dr. Tony Pollard: "After some soul searching have come out against Culloden housing development. It's on brownfield but is most definitely thin end of wedge." ". . . if I don't say no to this I won't be able to live with myself in ten years time when the corridor to the west is covered with houses. " Dr. Pollard is an archaeologist specialising in the archaeology of conflict. He is Director of the Centre for Battlefield Archaeology at Glasgow University. He is the co-presenter of the BBC series Two Men in a Trench and co-founder of the Journal of Conflict Archaeology.
This website is offered to the public by the non-political Group to Stop the Development at Culloden Battlefield. Please contact us via the Contact Us page on this website or via email, top right of page.