"The site has national and international importance, not only Scottish. It is one of the few places that openly speaks about the horrifying effects of the Highland Clearances that affect Scottish culture to this very day."
Photo credit above: STV.TV News Note: to read articles below, click on headline live link
Comment from Cllr. Ken Gowans: I was delighted sign a Motion of Amendment today that will bring this Planning Application to the Environment Development and Infrastructure Committee for determination. By rights this should have been refused yesterday but due to (understandable) confusion it was approved. A Notice of Motion stops all progression - immediately. It is not over. The next meeting of the EDI Committee is on 17th May.
The controversial decision to approve a new housing development near Culloden Battlefield has been suspended, it has emerged.Members of Highland Council’s South Planning Committee gave Kirkwood Homes the nod to start work on 16 properties with 5-3 vote at Tuesday’s meeting. But in extraordinary scenes straight after the vote, one member told the Press and Journal how he and a colleague had accidentally voted the wrong way.
And yesterday, the council suspended approval – and a final decision might not be made until May. Developer Kirkwood Homes said that it would consult a QC as “the whole situation surrounding the design element has become a circus”.
Inverness South Councillor Andrew Jarvie successfully challenged the result after learning of the mistaken voting by his fellow members. A Notice of Amendment was issued suspending the decision after Mr Jarvie collected enough support from fellow councillors. The application will now be heard by the Environment, Development and Infrastructure (EDI) Committee, likely in April or May.
Mr Jarvie, who correctly voted for his own motion, said: “Given the situation, I am as happy as I can be right now. The EDI Committee will now make a fresh appraisal of the issue.
Conservative councillor Andrew Jarvie has secured a motion of amendment to have the decision reviewed.The councillor led an attempt at Tuesday's committee meeting to turn down Kirkwood Homes' application for its project at Viewhill, near Inverness. He voted to refuse permission. Mr Jarvie has been successful in getting the signatures he needs to his motion from fellow councillors. The matter will be put before a meeting of Highland Council's environment, development and infrastructure committee.
The scheme for 16 houses near Culloden Battlefield, already the target of a petition and protests, could now be challenged. Highland Council confirmed last night that the vote will stand pending a possible appeal but for now it remains binding. The drama unfolded at the South Planning Committee in Inverness yesterday, where councillors had the choice of allowing the work to go ahead or sending the developer away to carry out a redesign. Inverness South councillor Andrew Jarvie proposed a motion for the redesign and was supported by Ron MacWilliam. Committee chairman Jimmy Gray then proposed an amendment that would pass the application, backed by vice chairwoman Carolyn Caddick. But there was apparent confusion between the motion and amendment, and the vote passed five to three. One councillor, who did not want to be named, said: “I voted the wrong way and I believe that one other councillor voted the wrong way. “I know of two other councillors who were not entitled to vote – but if they had been permitted then they would also have voted the wrong way. “It has been a mix-up as far as democratic desire goes and it was officially the wrong decision, so it definitely needs to be looked at. “I believe there could well have been enough votes to alter the decision in terms of Andrew Jarvie’s motion and, yes, that would be to reject the design.
The application was voted through - although two SNP councillors now believe they voted the wrong way after a mix up at committee. Councillor Andrew Jarvie (Conservative) said he had until 5pm on Friday to gather in enough support to send the application to the Environment, Development and Infrastructure committee for a new hearing. This would put a halt to any work at the site until the matter was looked at again. Councillor Jarvie said: “I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed that an error led to the wrong outcome.
March 12, 2018 . . . The Scotsman Final bid to stop housing development at Culloden battlefield Campaigners are making a last-ditch effort to prevent the building of homes at the Culloden battlefield site. The Historians Committee On Culloden is calling on the Scottish Government to intervene following claims officials approved planning permission after being given incorrect information. A plan to build homes in the area was rejected in 2014 by Highland councillors, only to then be given permission by a Scottish Government reporter.
March 11, 2018 . . . The Herald Final battle over Culloden housing plan CAMPAIGNERS are making a last-ditch effort to prevent the building of homes at the Culloden battlefield site which they say would cause “catastrophic and irrevocable damage”. The Historians Committee On Culloden is calling on the Scottish Government to have “moral courage” and intervene, amid claims officials approved planning permission after being given incorrect information.
March 10, 2018. . . Inverness Courier New rallying cry against battlefield homes plan PLANS are brewing for another public protest outside Highland Council headquarters in opposition to a controversial 16-home housing development close to Culloden Battlefield. Moves are afoot to stage the event on Tuesday when councillors are recommended to approve the design of the houses being built by Aberdeen-shire-based Kirkwood Homes on the historic site.
Highland Council: Viewhill Housing Application Deferred. . . January 30, 2018 Highland Council’s South Planning Applications Committee has deferred a decision on a planning application by Kirkwood Homes Ltd for 16 new homes at the site of Viewhill, Inverness. The site is within the boundary of the Culloden (Battlefield) Conservation Area and Historic Scotland’s Inventory of Historic Battlefields. Members of the Committee approved a motion by Councillor Andrew Jarvie and seconded by Councillor Carolyn Caddick (both Inverness South Ward Members) to: “….defer the application for houses to give the developer an opportunity to revisit the finishes and the house designs to better reflect the Highland context and conservation area, in particular with regard to the use of external materials; proportions of the roofs to walls and external details.” click on the headline link, above, to read full statement.
February 5, 2018 . . . UPDATE on Treetops Development From the Architects: HRI Munro. . . "Preliminary imagery of our new Treetops lodges near Culloden, part of a new visitor / restaurant project currently in the planning process. Each elevated lodge will provide luxury space for 2-4 visitors, a secluded pinewood setting and an outside hot tub!"
Treetops Riding Stables wants to convert their rural property into 14 holiday chalets, add a 100 person restaurant and several outbuildings. This project is within the 2015 Conservation Area and within the Battlefield Boundary! This is just "down the street" from the entrance to the Battlefield. When this project comes up for public comment...we will let you know!!! Read the planning documents Check the development status See the map
This petition is addressed to David Fraser Sutherland, Kirkwood Homes Ltd. and Historic Environment Scotland
The Admin and members of GSDC, and all who sign this petition are very concerned that this land will disappear under houses and pavements; thus creating an irreparable scar on Culloden Moor and ultimately will generate disrespect towards those who died and lie buried under its unforgiving moorland. The building of 16 luxury houses at Viewhill farm would convert the existing agricultural land use to suburban, subdivided parcels. Probable widening and extensions of roads accessing this property do not comply with the Culloden Muir Conservation Area. If allowed, this development will affect the area in a dramatic, negative way. Increased traffic, street lighting, issues with drainage and unsightly rooflines, and increased residential noise will greatly affect the Battlefield experience. The area will lose its ability to convey a sense of historical and cultural significance, as a memorial, in which to sit and contemplate, as a place of connection for millions of people around the world.
Petition letter to David Sutherland, Directors at Kirkwood Homes Ltd and Historic Environment Scotland ". . . We feel, especially with all the media and public interest we are generating, that taking up such a course could potentially bring you great acclaim and honours. If you were to donate the land to the National Trust for Scotland, or another charity of equal standing, we assure you that we would make as much of that story, as we have done with the potential desecration of the land by building houses on it."
November 3, 2017: Statement from Group to Stop Development at Culloden click on headline to read The Group to Stop Development at Culloden is aware that the 16 house building development at the Viewhill Farm site is now in the amended planning stage. We continue to be totally opposed to this development which sits just 400+ meters from the Culloden Battlefield Enclosure and is where the last pitched battle on British soil took place.
Map created by Historic Scotland to indicate the area of historical importance at Culloden Battlefield. Note that Viewhill Farm is in black and in the protected area!
Map of the 2015 Culloden Muir Protection Area indicating that the battle took place over a much wider area. Note that Viewhill Farm is in this protected area!
WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT. . .
In 2011, an Inverness property developer presented plans to Highland Council for a 16 unit housing development at Viewhill, just 400+ metres from Culloden Battlefield.
The proposed development was rejected by Highland Council. The Developer appealed. The matter was then decided by a Government Appointed Reporter who ruled in favour of the Developer.
This Group was formed to protest the plans to build the 16 houses. We gathered information, data, maps and legislative references which left no doubt as to the historical significance of the battlefield and the area beyond and, its importance on a National and International level.
The new designated Protection Area of 2015 enlarged the protected zone but does not include Viewhill as permission to build was granted in 2014.
Building houses on that site is deeply disrespectful. It is part of a war grave.
The building of 16 houses at Viewhill converts the existing agricultural land use to suburban, subdivided parcels. Possible widening and extensions of roads accessing this property do not comply with the Culloden Muir Conservation Area and if allowed will further damage the area. This is not an appropriate use for this land.
We need to protect that area for future generations. It was a pivotal battle in British history and is of huge international interest and it is incumbent on us to protect it. “The battle actually covered a far greater area than that which the National Trust owns and runs.” HC Ken Gowans
"Culloden is an incredibly sensitive site. The site is very important to a lot of people...it's almost a place of pilgrimage. There's a particular aspect to that landscape that you could quite easily destroy by building something that was unsuitable for that environment.” Tony Pollard
We wish to inform you all that there is currently work being done at Viewhill - site of the proposed 16 houses. The developer is in the process of demolishing farm buildings - these demolitions are in compliance with conditions set by the Scottish Government's Reporter when planning permission was given.. While huge strides have been gained in the protection of the battlefield with the new larger area map of 2015, protection does not include Viewhill Farm. Unfortunately, the developer had already been given permission to build the 16 homes
The developer is proposing amendments to the original planning application and it is the hope of this group that concerned Highland Councillors and the public will be given every opportunity to comment.
We have been extremely vocal against any houses being built on the area of the Battlefield since the beginning of January 2014. Our position has not changed. Expect us to be vocal. We will keep members updated as we continue to evaluate the situation.
Developer Master Plan
See what Culloden Battlefield might look like if development is allowed to take place! A video by a member of the Scottish Diaspora now living in Australia.
A video by GSDC member Paul Jamieson on the 270th anniversary of the Battle of Culloden. The video starts around 6am on the commemoration Saturday after he spent the night walking the Battlefield. It snowed and rained most of the evening and was still overcast. The march and service at the central Cairn and afterwards the patriots departed but some stayed on meeting and greeting old and new friends...
Culloden Lament... 5th October 2016 by Charlie McAulay Robertson
Two years and more have past since the news was broken. Houses to be built on Culloden moor and then the world it was outspoken. Yes, people from around the globe just could not understand. What does posses those corporate minds, that they would desecrate our sacred land. New laws were passed by government that would give it more protection. Which meant to us that there would be consultation before any house erection. But those unscrupulous business men with there eyes set on the brass. Find loopholes in everything, even the laws that the government pass. So here we are today and the problems are still looming. And believe me when I say, Scotland it should be fuming. They want to wipe away our history, while all we can do is lament. As they cover it up with houses aye, tar macadam, bricks an cement.
Listen to Ted Christopher sing "Freedom's Flame" written by Ted for the Culloden Commemoration
Blàr Chùil Lodair, 16 an Giblean 2016. Tha na faireachdainnean agam an-diugh a’ sìneadh eadar irioslachd agus pròis, irioslachd a thaobh an urraim a thug sibh dhomh cuimhne a ghleidheadh air na Gàidheil cliùiteach a thuit ann an Cogadh nan Seumasach, agus pròis a thaobh an dleastanais a bhuilich sibh orm a bhith a’ riochdachadh Comunn Gàidhlig Inbhir-Nis aig Seirbhis Cuimhneachaidh Blàr Chùil Lodair. Le carragh-cuimhne air ar beulaibh agus raon uaigneach tiamhaidh fo ar comhair, tha sinn uile mothachail air an tuiteamas seo a tha a’ sìoladh sìos thugainn thar nan linntean bhon dearbh latha sa’ Ghiblean 1746. Gu deimhinnte ’s e droch latha a bh’ ann, airson Gàidheal air gach taobh dhen t-strì agus mar sin, tha cothrom againn a-rithist an-diugh cuimhne ùrachadh air na daoine foghainteach a chaill am beatha aig Cùil Lodair agus an comharrachadh as ùr.
Gaelic Society Chief, Prof Hugh Cheape, addresses the gathering at the 2016 Memorial Service and Mgr. Maoilios Caimbeul reads ‘Latha Chùil-Lodair’ / ‘Culloden Day’ by Iain Ruadh Stiùbhart.
'Presenting' or 'lining' is very much part of Gaelic Culture. The presenter sings the line, the congregation sings the line after him. Here is a video of the remembrance service at Culloden.
April 15, 2016: National Trust for Scotland On the 16th April 1746 the Battle of Culloden took place on Drumossie Muir, near Inverness. The battle lasted less than an hour and saw Prince Charles Edward Stuart’s Jacobite army defeated by a Government army led by William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland.
Over 18,000people have signed our on-line petition, including Sir Kenneth Calman, former Chairman of the National Trust for Scotland, Outlander author Diana Gabaldon, Dr. Tony Pollard, Director of the Centre for Battlefield Archaeology at Glasgow University, Historian Chris Haines MBE and many, many others who are making a statement against the development!
As of February 2015 the petition is no longer active but remains a strong statement regarding keeping development away from Culloden Battlefield!
Click below to make a donation via Pay Pal to the Stop Development at Culloden Group
This website is offered to the public by the non-political Group to Stop the Development at Culloden Battlefield. Please contact us via the Contact Us page on this website or via email, top right of page.